Search the Pansersite

Thursday, June 9, 2011

And now, the news

One of my favorite webcomics, Danielle Corsetto's "Girls With Slingshots", today called my attention to this lovely little story:

A Silsbee High School cheerleader took her school to court when they kicked her off the squad for refusing to cheer her own rapist.


The week of May 5, 2011 the Supreme Court refused to hear the case and is requiring her family [to] pay the school $45,000 in legal fees.

I have a long list of things that piss me off and an explosive temper on the best of days. When I read this, though, I screamed "Fucking WHAT???" so loudly that my neighbor's movers outside heard me and were laughing. Not that I cared -- I was too busy raging.

Let me be clear: I enjoy writing about dominance, or power games, once in a while. I think it's hot to write a story or two about reluctance. But the minute one party says "no", it's over. There are very few people on earth I hate more than the cowards who would rape (or have raped) a woman. Maybe it's my white-knight nature coming to the forefront, but I think most rapists should be gelded by having their balls torn off. Preferably by the hands of the woman they'd raped.

(Yes, I know men are sometimes raped by women as well. But it's much, much rarer, and we're not talking about that right now).

And then the Supreme Court has the gall to add insult to injury by calling the girl's lawsuit against the school "frivolous" and ordering her family to pay the school more than $45,000 in repaid legal fees. That's not even counting the money the FAMILY no doubt spent in a vain pursuit of justice.

I do think the United States is a great place to live, most of the time. But every now and again I'm reminded that, just like humanity in general, we've got a long, long way to go before true enlightenment.

If you'd care to donate to help this girl and her family out, the link is http://www.helpthecheerleader.com/ .

-- PB

1 comment:

Naughty Lexi said...

When I read about it on GWS, I had to try very hard not to think about it too much otherwise I'd probably have become homicidal. One would think that the school would at least have had the decency to kick the player off the team rather than his victim off the cheerleading squad. No, no, put the gun away; violence won't solve anything Lexi, it's all right, calm, deep breaths, that's it...