Search the Pansersite

Friday, December 17, 2010

Flash Fiction Friday 12-17-10: "The Mirror of His Dreams"

(Image stolen from Tempting Sweets; original source unknown)

It was the first tentative touch that made Freddy realize he was lost. Just his hand encircling Carl's ankle, but it was enough to send ripples of heat all through his body. He clenched his teeth, willing himself not to show anything.

Carl smiled. “It's not helping,” he said. “Your body knows what it wants.”

He paused. “And so does mine.” He stretched, long and lean, and tilted the mirror a bit to one side, revealing the edges, a bare outline, of his desire, an ebony tower standing tall.

Freddy's mouth watered so hard it hurt. He saw only himself in the mirror, but Carl filled everything else in his vision.

Carl smiled again, rich and dark. “Mirror, mirror, on the wall,” he said softly. “Who's the fairest one of all?”

He leaned forward, peering. “Why, look. It's showing you, dear Freddy....”

Your challenge for today was to use the picture above and write a flash fiction of 78-148 words. Additionally, I provided a key phrase I wanted to see used somewhere in the submission:

"...tentative touch..."

Nobody's checking word counts, or for the key phrase, but you're only cheating yourself if you break the rules. Unless you're doing it to earn a spanking (in which case, see me after class).

Special Bonus Director's Commentary Track:

I love the idea of mirrors reflecting desire. I considered this as an art installation at first, the two of them standing there in a busy garden, the cynosure of all eyes, feeling the breeze on their skin, eyes locked on each other, the heat building and building and building.

Then I looked at the one on the bottom again, and it seemed he wasn't looking at the one on top at all, but rather looking off into the distance. Why, I wondered, might he be doing that? Perhaps he didn't know what to do with the sensations he was feeling. Maybe he was trying to concentrate on the arousal sweeping through him, or trying NOT to concentrate on it.


Then I wondered what sort of mirror this was. Innocuous? Or special somehow? I do love a good fairy tale, so I couldn't resist the Snow White homage, particularly with the alabaster white skin of the kid lying on his back. I don't think Snow White ever had ideas quite like this, though.



The title is another homage, this one to the Stephen Donaldson novel "The Mirror of Her Dreams", one of the more challenging and densely-packed fantasy tales around. Mirrors have a great deal of power in that story; they can be dangerous if misused. This mirror is a rather more pleasant tool, I think.


The following people are participating this week. Go check out their take on this FFF, won't you, and thank 'em for playing along.

Violet:  http://writteninpurpleink.blogspot.com 
Rozewolf:  http://wordwytch.wordpress.com 
Snow:  http://snow9.wordpress.com 
Lexi:  http://lex-ploits.blogspot.com

Check back here on Monday for the next challenge, but please note that because I will be traveling for personal and business reasons from December 18th-January 10th, I will not be able to collect the participants list as I usually do. You are certainly still welcome to participate! And if you have any photos or artwork you'd like to see in a future challenge, please send them my way. 

-- PB

6 comments:

TemptingSweets99 said...

What a wonderful approach to this photo and story. Mirror on the wall, what a captivating story you've told us all. Thanks, PB.

Naughty Lexi said...

This group has so thoroughly corrupted Snow White that I don't think she can possibly summon up the nerve to be seen in a Disney cartoon ever again ;) Up to your usual standards of quality, of course, and with a tenderness that isn't out of character either.

wordwytch said...

I liked your take here Panser. Loved the tie-in of the book too. Read that one years ago and totally enjoyed it.

As for Snow White... Oh Panser, do I have a picture for you.

Rozewolf

France said...

Very nice PB!!

Topaz said...

I like the way you worked in the ankle grab into your story - great verbal foreplay between the two...

The Panserbjørne said...

Sweets: Thank you so very much for the kind words. When I hear nice words like "captivating" I know I must be doing something right.

Lexi: I do try to invest these with a sense of love and tenderness for the most part. Glad it's coming across.

Roze: Yes, you certainly do. Thanks for sending those my way--I'll be using them in a future entry,i have no doubt.

France: Why, thank you!

Topaz: I often have trouble writing good realistic dialogue between my characters but in this case I think it went pretty well. Thanks!

-- PB